Cannabis & Hemp
Our team practice is designed to make cannabis business uncomplicated by meeting and anticipating our client’s unique needs.
The cannabis industry, medical and recreational, requires business to understand a complex set of regulations and practical limitations and changes that occur in an emerging industry.
Since 2014 our team has provided legal services for farms, processors, transporters, financiers, and retail shops working in the cannabis industry. Our cannabis lawyers in Washington, Montana, and Michigan are experienced in IP protection, regulatory support, corporate management, compliance strategies, taxation, leasing, and cannabis investment. We’ve helped small and large cannabis businesses submit applications for licensing under state lottery systems, prepared requests for documents and/or information with state licensing agencies, advised on structuring cannabis businesses, drafted and revised standard operating procedures, supported compliance, and completed purchases and sales of cannabis businesses. The cannabis industry, medical and recreational, requires business to understand a complex set of regulations and practical limitations and changes that occur in an emerging industry. Our team practice is designed to make cannabis business uncomplicated by meeting and anticipating our client’s unique needs.
Our cannabis law group has worked with clients in the following areas:
- Tax elections and jurisdiction of formation
- Defining ownership and management roles among founders
- Filing thorough and complete licensing applications and providing in-depth support for lottery systems
- Creating tailored employee handbooks for producers, processors, and/or retail shops
- Creating custom standard operating procedures for producers, processors, and/or retail shops
- Supporting banking relationships
- Preparing and submitting required licensing documentation for changes of control, mergers, and acquisitions
- Supporting Internal Revenue Code Section 280A, 263A, 199, and 471 decisions by Cannabis business owners
- Preparing for investors under state and federal rules to protect against personal liability
- Drafting independent contractor agreements for cultivation and manufacturing services
- Drafting master sales agreements for marijuana and marijuana products
- Advised cannabis business owner on acquisition of farm, compliance and operations, changes of control through the WSLCB, tax elections, addition of a partner, and registration of trademarks.
- Advised retail shop on employee handbook revision, specialized limited liability company operating agreement, trademark filings, entity structuring with multiple separate lines of business, negotiated and executed acquisition of additional retail store.
- Advised cannabis producer/processor on licensing options for sale and investment opportunities inside and outside of county for in-state partnership options.
- Created consulting agreement compliance under WSLCB regulations which provided increased revenue and sales opportunities for client.
- Aided transportation company in securing licensing and managing practical risks of transporting cannabis in-state.
- Advised cannabis retail shop on banking options, standard operating procedures for vendors and transactions with vendors, conducted security and pre-WSLCB walk-through audit for WSLCB approval.
- Advised cannabis clients on compliance with the MMRTA and associated Administrative Rules
- Negotiated with the Montana Department of Revenue Cannabis Control Division to maintain licenses and extend renewal deadlines
- Litigated zoning changes to establish and confirm non-conforming use rights